Martin Cemetery Trees include four Cherrybark Oaks and one Eastern Redcedar and are located on the grounds of the historic Martin Cemetery, Little Rock, Pulaski County. The Martin Cemetery is the oldest community cemetery (c.1834) in Pulaski County, near Mabelvale, in southwest Little Rock. The cemetery was originally started by the Martin family when the area was called “Forsche.” In addition to be a historic cemetery, there are over 1,500 graves in the cemetery, several of which are significant. Five trees were identified in relation to persons buried there: “Hopkins Cherrybark Oak” – in honor of J. Frank Hopkins, founder of the Sigma Nu fraternity; “Heinke Cherrybark Oak” – in honor of Ernst F. Heinke, German immigrant; “Bagley obelisk Cherrybark Oak” – in honor of Mr. Bagley, next to his obelisk; “Wilder Cedar” – in honor of William Green Wilder, and “Woodmen of the World Cherrybark Oak” – in honor of Mr. L. O. Dilworth, next to the last intact “Woodmen of the World” monument by his grave.
Location: Martin Cemetery, Little Rock
Registration: February 7, 2011
Species: Cherrybark oaks &, eastern redcedar